Went to Charlie's Place and got the right sized tappet covers. He only had two of them, but they're more expensive than the smaller ones he gave me, so I just traded the four for the two.
I had to take off the gas tank to get proper access to the valves and adjusted them all to 0.002". It was a pretty small gap and I'm not sure if my method got the closest to 0.002" possible. I basically tightened the adjustment screw enough to bind the feeler, then backed it off just enough to let it move freely again.
I put the tank back on and the horn (which I had to take off to get access to the right exhaust side valve) and I found that the horn wire was disconnected. I connected it again and the horn works! You have to mash the button so I think I may need to replace that.
It took a lot of cranking to get it to fire up, but it started and ran well. I took it on a 1-2mile ride around Potrero Hill and didn't have any problems. I can't say that I notice any improvement, but at least I didn't make it worse!Updates
- Adjusted valves
- Reconnected wire to horn
- Replaced two tappet/valve covers